Spring and Nostalgia

As I walked through the back door I was greeted with the delightful smell of freshly fallen rain, the sting of cold air filled with thousands of microscopic water droplets rushing against my face, the sky filled with dark rolling clouds, and a chorus of birds singing their little hearts out at the top of their trilling voices.

Oh Spring, how I've missed you.

I stood in complete awe for a few moments, just trying not to collapse from the sheer wonderment of it all. I thought my heart would break -- it was all so enthralling.

*A-a-a-a-choo!*

Oh yeah: that. I knew there was a reason I shouldn't be so glad to see you, spring.

Ah well... I love spring anyway! I mean: THE FLOWERS.

There are daisy's, daffodils, and just generally a ton of flowers blooming now. Have I ever mentioned how much I adore flowers? They're so... perfect. Even when they start to wilt, I think they're just lovely, in their own special way.

I wish there was words to describe how much I love this broken old world. I'm eternally grateful that God put so much beauty here on earth.

Oh, and the puddles! I love puddles. I know, it's weird. I've always been fascinated with them -- that fascination may stem from mom forbidding me to jump in them on Sunday mornings in the church parking lot... She let us jump in them whenever we were at home, though! I have an really cool mom.

Spring reminds me of the old place. As a lot of you know, we moved a few years back. Spring there was so amazing!
The winter so mild with occasional snow,
Seems to make the world with beauty glow,
Spring time comes with her beauty and grace,
Her delicate fingers make this a magical place.

That's a stanza from my poem "My Childhood Home"... I wrote it a day before we officially left the old house. You can read the whole poem here

I used to live on a hazelnut farm. Spring there was like walking through fairy land, I'm not even joking. The trees were full of dainty bright green leaves, magnificent spiderwebs were filled with dew drops every morning, the field was the perfect place to go and stare up at the brilliantly blue sky. We had a creek running down by the field, it was magical. I remember the day I discovered a small waterfall surrounded by young trees and tall grass, I was so excited! I always have loved waterfalls, there's just something so... beautiful about them. 

I'm afraid I over-use the word beautiful. But I like how it sounds, and it can convey so many different types of beauty.

We had the largest daisy's there, and SO many blackberry bushes. We actually made a fort inside the blackberry bushes one year, it was pretty epic. The games my siblings and I made up were the best, though. Playing with Jordan the neighbor's kid... And when Benjamin fell out of the tree and broke his arm! Oh my. 

My secret place to go and spend hours on end reading by a giant cottonwood tree...

I miss it all so much. 

There now... I'm crying. *Sigh*. I'm so thankful I had such a wonderful childhood. 

I guess I'll leave you with a couple quotes from the Anne of Green Gables book.

...Winter was over and gone with the thrill of delight that spring never fails to bring to the oldest and saddest as well as to the youngest and merriest.

Everything is new in the spring... Springs themselves are always new, too. No spring is ever just like any other spring. It always has something of its own to be its own peculiar sweetness.

Thanks for that, Anne-girl.

~Bekah

P.s. I officially made it a week and didn't miss posting one day! Woot woot! I'm proud of myself. We'll have to see how long I can keep this up! 
Oh, and that picture is one I took this morning when I was outside. It's the path leading towards the backyard.

Comments

  1. That's amazing..Love hearing your thought and reading your blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts