Depression

"Depression"
By Rebekah Chui

She's a bit whimsy at first
with her sleepy eyes
comfortable bed
and cloudy skies

it seems self care
to just sleep in
let your thoughts go
comfortable oblivion

and so the laundry piles up
on that one chair
and it would take too much energy
to just wash my hair

'just take it easy'
I think with a sigh
'it's been such a long day'
but, I can't remember why...

she comes like a friend
she seems so forgiving
until one day I looked up
and I'd stopped living

I've been staring
at that blank spot on the wall
and realize at length,
I can't care at all

she promised peace
help with coping
but she only took
the strength to keep hoping

the whimsy is gone
and she's left in her wake
a broken body
and an empty ache

----------------------------

I tried to keep this poem light, because giving voice to the darker thoughts gives them too much power over me.

For as far back as I can remember, I've had thoughts of suicide, active self harm, loathing of self and periods of complete emotional numbness. When I was a kid, I didn't have a name for it, but now I know it's depression.

I think those of us who have lived with depression for our whole lives (or as long as we can remember), it is difficult to separate the mental health disorder from our sense of identity. At the very least that is the case for me. I have never known what a healthy brain feels like, and it seems hopelessly tangled in with my personality.

I tried to convey this idea of a almost unearthly being, who promises help but instead of peace just deepens the wounds that were already present. The idea is that "she" is a separate entity from myself in an attempt to differentiate between who I am, and what depression has done to me.

As the colder fall and winter months are approaching, and here in the pacific northwest it is rainy season and overcast for months on end, I know that my mental health tends to take a hit. I do love the rain, but my brain needs some help to get an uptick of serotonin and dopamine during these seasons. I am effected year round by depression, but my doctor and therapist have helped me to realize that I get additional Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and it's important to take extra steps to stop myself from spiraling.

So, light therapy every morning and a higher dose of anti-depressants incoming. It's easy for me to feel like a failure and be angry at myself for needing help, but I'm learning to identify those thoughts and feelings and actively contradict them.

Because if my body can't produce it's own serotonin, store bought is fine.










Comments

Popular Posts